RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
Research and Development department’s primary aim is improvement in social sector development area. The work of the department draws on the knowledge and experience of architectural practice, academics, research, local community and environment. The Research and Development department supports vision and strategy that relates particularly to the following objectives:
Maintain knowledge base: by promoting and championing high-quality research and encouraging its dissemination and incorporation into the community.
- To provide both sound and imaginative solutions - low cost materials, innovative designs keeping local community at the fore front.
- Conservation and livelihoods- to help build sustainable communities in and around “World Heritage Sites” that will ensure that the sites are protected and enjoyed by future generations. Through greater education about the positive impacts of sustainable tourism the natural biodiversity of each site can be preserved and further ensure the survival of these wonders of the world.
- Empower women. Reduce poverty and promote development particularly for the poor and marginalized women.
- Develop facilities and train local community members in education, healthcare, low cost housing and infrastructure where social services are often unreliable or unavailable, to respond to changing environment and to meet current and future needs. To develop affordable and sustainable methods to deliver services; and to promote effective approaches for water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Maximize contribution of community members by making best use of members' skills and experience on committees, task groups and steering committees.
- To organize workshops on development and environment with inter-disciplinary approach.
- Making technology training available and providing technology-based solutions to current challenges. Renewable energy technologies, particularly in remote areas.
- Climate science- how to tackle climate change at local level and to plan for the cities of the future, carbon emissions. Clean energy technologies.
- Monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects. Quality assurance.
- Natural resource management. Access to energy for sustainable development.
- Crises Prevention and Recovery Training. Technical assistance for prevention of crises, early recovery and rehabilitation.